Pages

Thursday 3 May 2012

Cultural Food Shift.....

Its probably been obvious to a lot of people out there, but there has been, or there still is, a shift in what we are eating based on our ethnicity.

This is NOT a generalisation, just a random observation.

For example, I went down to the local Food Court near my work today for lunch.

It consists of most the major Fast Food joints, (McDonalds, KFC, Oportos, Nandos, & Starbucks) and the usual sprinkling of Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Turkish and Sandwich places.


I was in the mood for a Kebab today, so I grabbed one (extra chili), sat down and looked around at the hoard of eaters surrounding me.

What struck me, was the number of people of Asian descent eating McDonalds & KFC, and the majority of diners of an Anglo Saxon background (because you can't say "white" these days....sigh) eating predominantly Sushi, Thai, or Pho.

This isn't the first time I have witnessed this, but it really looked so obvious today.

What has happened? How & why did this occur?

Is it because Asians tends to generally eat Asian food at home, & prefer to eat something different when out?

Is it a generation thing? The younger Asian adolescents are generally bigger, taller, wider than their parents. Is the Western Diet a contributor to this fact?

And for the masses with an Anglo blood line. Is the move to more Asian foods (East, South East & South) in their daily diet, consistent with the fact that as a whole, Asian Food is believed to be more healthy and nutritious.

I'm not sure on how or why this has all occurred, but I am sure that the topic will create much debate...

No comments:

Post a Comment